Lighten Your Load

One of the very nice benefits of travel is the miles/points.  So my FREE Kindle Fire is on its way.  I ordered in on Amazon.com yesterday using my AMEX rewards.  Looking forward to it.  

So what does this have to do with travel?  I like reading, but I dislike carrying books around.  One of the reasons I went with the e-reader is to reduce overall weight.  

Go with the lighter suitcase, bag, clothing, etc. I used to carry spare batteries, toiletries, pills, clothing.  Now I use the hotel shampoo, soap, etc.  I carry a small shaving cream.  I carry one razor for the week.  The less you have to lug around, the easier your life will be on the road.  What if I run out of toothpaste?  Well first, most hotels will help you get through the day.  If my mouse battery dies..then there is Target, WalMart, CVS...you get the idea.   Carry a debit card, it is lighter than all that extra crap.   

Pack what you need, but not much else.  I think this is a little tougher on the female travelers, who want a little wardrobe flexibility.  I just decide my outfits for the week, and pack those.  Always be prepared for the weather for the week, don't leave a jacket at home if you are going to need it.  But do I really need seven pairs of socks for a four day trip?  Nope.  Worst case scenario...I wear a dirty pair, or buy a new pair.  

I have one of the those cheap portable umbrellas in the bottom of my office bag.  Good to have that on hand always.  

If you can survive without your laptop, and just use a tablet, then leave the PC at home.  Most tablets have a remote access applications like logmein and gotomypc that can be purchased.  A wise choice if you can ditch the LT.  These apps will allow you access to your computer.  You can still do it all, but not lug it around.  

At some point there is going to be a long distance luggage drag.  When this happens, you will be glad you packed lightly.  

Popular posts from this blog

Madrid Pics

Prague Pics

An Airport Drinking Game....